More than 400,000 Africans now call Australia home, according to the 2016 Census. African-Australians significantly contribute to the economy, cultural diversity and prosperity of this great country. We have iconic African-Australian individuals in various fields including sports, academia, business, law, entertainment and a range of other professional fields.
The success of African-Australians individuals, organisations and communities around the country is made possible thanks to, amongst other things, the support and empowerment that they receive from various Australian individuals, organisations, businesses and agencies (both governmental and non-governmental). Therefore, the aim of this Afroshine Australia awards is not only to showcase the various contributions that African-Australians bring to Australia’s growth and prosperity, but also to recognise and honour Australian individuals, organisations and businesses that support the broader African-Australian community.
Afroshine Australia Awards program is an initiative of Africa Media Australia in collaboration with with other African-Australians community organisations. This widely-acclaimed awards program extends beyond handing out awards, it encourages awardees to coach and mentor younger Australian and help spread the spirit of excellence and contribution to the community.
Raviro Nzenza: lawyer and Afroshine Award’s winner 2018 (Professional excellence: legal)
Who will be honoured?
Afroshine Australia Awards will present awards and commendations to African Australians, including:
- Most inspiring African-Australians of 2019
- Iconic African-Australians
- Successful entrepreneurs and professionals
- Celebrities, Sports heroes and talented individuals
- Outstanding community leaders
- Successful and talented African-Australians
Recognising Service providers and Friends of Africans
Afroshine Australia Awards will also honour non-African individuals and organisations who work with and/or support African-communities, including:
- Service providersand government funded agencies who work with African individuals, families and communities around Australia
- Individual Australianswho help Africans in various ways
- Faith-based organisations who support African-Australian
- Peak organisationsand other advocacy bodies
- Multicultural organisationscollaborating with Africans.
- Political leaderswho are actively engaged with African-Australians
50 Most Inspiring African-Australians of 2019
For the first time since the awards program was launched, AMA will publish he list of 50 most inspiring African-Australians form around the country. This special awards category focuses on highlighting some of the most inspiring individuals whose work in the community, personal or business success has a significant inspirational impact on the minds of Africans.
Local dignitaries and VIP are expected to attend the awards along with previous awardees and other influential African-Australians to celebrate the successful achievements of the Australians of African background.
Tickets for the spectacular awards night can be purchased through eventbrite