Victoria Police is encouraging African-Australians to apply for the Victoria Police Diversity Recruitment Program as a bridge to joining its workforce, either as police members or PSO (Protective Services Officers). Victoria Police is interested in reflecting the cultural diversity of the Victorian community as its workforce undergoes significant expansion over the next three years. To achieve the above stated goal, Victoria Police is partnering with several organisations to offer the opportunity to participate in the Victoria Police Diversity Recruitment Program (DRP).
The DRP seeks to increase the representation of African-Australians from refugee and other backgrounds in Victoria. This new program focuses on the challenges encountered by African-Australians who apply to Victoria Police. The program is designed to assist and provide support to applicants and enable them to confidently pass the various tests that all applicants of all backgrounds seat for when seeking to join Victoria police.
It is hope that this program will effectively increase the number of Africans who will end up joining Victoria police:
- Applications for the program close: Friday 15th March 2019
- Course start date: Tuesday 30th April 2019
- Course duration: 15 weeks
- Days of course: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
- Time: 5.00pm-9.00pm
Support provided to participants
- Mentoring and support from African-Australian community leaders
- Participant assessment, and guidance on recruitment pathway options
- Guidance and support on cultural differences and expectations
- Mentoring, support and guidance to participants to succeed through each stage of the recruitment process
- 15 week Victoria Police and Protective Service Officer Recruitment Ready training course to build skills and capabilities for success through the recruitment process
- Training on professional culture and expectations of the Victoria Police
- Support and mentoring during the Police Academy training and ongoing mentoring following deployment to police stations
Who is eligible to participate in the Victoria Police Diversity Recruitment Program?
To apply for the Victoria Police Diversity Recruitment Program you will first need to meet our selection criteria. Later, you’ll also be assessed on criteria related to the role you’re applying for.
You will need:
- Commitment, good character and reputation
- English communication and numeracy skills
- Must be an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident
- Police clearances and/or supporting documents presented by VISA applicants. This will be treated case by case
- To be from an African-Australian background. African-Australians from refugee and humanitarian backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply
- To be able to pass the Police Fitness Test by the completion of the program
- To demonstrate knowledge and commitment to being a Police Officer
- Cultural awareness gained by employment in Australia
Would you like to be the next generation of Victoria Police?
For more information and to register an expression of interest to participate in the Victoria Police Diversity Recruitment Program, please complete the Expression of Interest form on our website: www.victoriapolicediversity.org.au.
Got any questions? Please contact our team via email@example.com or phone 9415 8700